East Windsor Probate Court Museum

East Windsor District Probate Court

This building was donated by Marie Rego and moved to the Academy site from 108 Main Street, Warehouse Point, in 1984.  It was used for a while as a doctor’s office (Dr. Marcus Lyon Fiske in the 1860’s) and as the headquarters for William Barnes, who served from 1838 to 1879 as judge of the East Windsor district probate court.

The district has always included East and South Windsor, but at various times also served Enfield (1782-1831), Ellington (1786-1826), East Hartford, Glastonbury and Bolton (1782-1797). The court was moved to the home of Ralph M. Grant when he was elected probate judge in 1899 and has remained in South Windsor since then.

Advertisements